How it all began...

Growing up my favorite subject was always art but that wasn't because I enjoyed it the most or because I was good at it. Rather because it was the easiest subject with the least homework. Bad motives I know.

During highschool I wasn't involved in sports, drama, or many extracurricular activities so my parents encouraged me to find something I'd enjoy doing. While skimming through the newspapers AD's one Sunday afternoon I came across something that caught my eye. It was the bright clear image of a camera. Not just any camera though. A BIG one with the lens that stuck out of the front! I'd always been jealous of people with big cameras... mostly because they always looked SO cool carrying them around. Somehow, I convinced my parents that I NEEDED that camera. Days later I stood at the National Camera Exchange store counter as my Dad bought my first camera.... a Nikon D50.
Photobucket
Well I got home and took pictures. Lot's of pictures! I had no idea what I was doing, but something about photography intrigued me, so I just kept pluggin along!

Later that year in August 2007, our family flew out to California to visit my Mom's sister, her husband and their kids. While talking with my cousins I found out that they were photographers. They strongly enoucraged me to pursue photography more and start my business.

Sidenote: I made my sister do a photoshoot for me while in Califonia. I was SOOO overly proud of this pictures when we were done.
Photobucket
Now I look at them and they just make me humble! Thank goodness that I've moved on from my Picnik photo processing days!
Photobucket

Anyways... I traveled back to Minnesota and did pursue photography more. But quickly threw the idea of starting my own business out the window, convincing myself I wasn't good enough, I was too young, and it'd be too hard.

Well as time went on I found photography blogs and was BLOWN away! I didn't know it was humanly possbile to take pictures like Jessica Claire or Jasmine*. Eventually the idea of starting a business became a far off dream. I signed up for OSP and DPS, and read every online tutorial imaginable. At this point I knew I wanted to start a business but I didn't know how and still didn't think I was quite ready. I prayed that God would give me wisdom on what steps to take next, and specifically prayed for an internship. The next night I stumbled upon Kristen Leigh's blog. I had followed her stuff on and off, so when I found her blog again I began reading. She had JUST advertised the "Summertime with Kristen Leigh" internship that she was doing. I immediately applied. One week later she e-mailed me to say I'd been accepted. And the rest... well it's history!

My advice to anyone starting out like I was [and still am].

-Do an internship! It'll boost your confidence a million times over. Before going to Kristen's I was SO nervous about charging people, and I didn't feel like I knew enough to get started. Now I'm home and I'm confident in where my business is right now and where it's going. Sure I'm still nervous sometimes but I go for it anyways. Another reason to go to an internship. They're just plain fun!

- NETWORK!!! NETWORK!!! NETWORK!!! Get in contact with other photographers in your area. For the longest time I thought I was the only photographer in the state of MN with the photography style I liked. I couldn't have been more wrong! There is a huge network of photographers here in MN and the ones I've talked to so far have been SO willing to help and encourage me. I just went out to ice cream with Melissa Oholendt last night. One of the sweetest photographers I've ever met! She started her business back in January so we're both still very new at this stuff! It was so great meeting and talking to her last night. Networking works. Really it does!

Of course it's more than possible to start a business without networking and interning but it's so helpful. I strongly encourage you to do it if you have the opportunity!

So that's my story!

Happy Weekend!!!

8 Responses so far.

  1. Anonymous says:

    Aw thanks so much for sharing your story!

  2. mandie says:

    I really enjoy reading your blog and I love your style of creativity! Keep it up girl! :)

  3. Wow, I just LOVE, LOVE, LOOOOVE your pictures! They're awesome! I want an SLR quite badly, so I'm saving. But they're just very expensive, as you know, and it's taking me awhile. How'd you ever talk your Dad into just BUYING you the camera? LOL, jk. :P

    I use Picnik. Partly because I'm starting early in photography and like some of the effects...but what do you use now?

    I've gone through 2 point and shoot cameras in the past year 1/2...taken 1000's of pictures, and long every day for an SLR. (The cameras were given to us, a 2001 Sony and 2002 Kodak) I'm constantly doing photoshoots with my friends...until my camera broke last month.. :-/

    What SLR do you recomend? Are there some you prefer even over your own?

    Tomorrow I'm actually competeing in the OHIO state fair in the photography contest for 4-H. I'm very excited, and looking foward to seeing other pics there.

    Again, thanks so much for your blog, I love being inspired by other great pictures! I'm sure you'll succeed in business.

    My picasa is: www.picasaweb.google.com/petmarclarkefam

    -Rachel Clarke (age 14...I know, pretty young. I've still got lots of time. ;))

    P.S. Sorry this comment is so long. But I just love learning from people that know so much more than myself. ;)

  4. Kristin says:

    you are so right....thanks for the encouragement :)

  5. I absolutely love your blog Julia!! keep up the good work! you inspire me. :)

  6. Thank's for the encouraging words!

    Rachel: You're doing incredibly well, and I'm sure you'll continue to suceed in the future. I used Picnik for a long long time but knew I needed to upgrade since I'm starting to shoot more professional. Now I use Lightroom 2.0 and will be buying photoshop soon. I'd reccomend either the Nikon D60 or the Canon EOS Rebel XSi. Hope this helps!

  7. Hi! Thanks for stopping by my blog! I really enjoyed reading your story, keep up the great work! I love your header pictures by the way, the one with the bright yellow background is awesome! Sounds like we both got to meet some pretty amazing girls! :)

  8. Amy says:

    I hope that the other girls and I were helpful on Saturday! I know where you are and I feel like I am not that far from it! Looking back I am amazing at how far I have come and never expected things to take off the way they did. My husband likes to remind me of that and it is a HUGE blessing from God that I am where I am today. It takes a lot of time, patience, devotion, and energy! Make sure you keep having fun and refresh yourself with fun things! I think you off on a great path...if you need any words of advice let me know! I am more than willing to share what I know and what I have done to get where I am at!! Nice to work with you on Saturday! Oh and go for that Canon 30d!! Or even the 20d that I know J* rocked when she first started.

Leave a Reply